Re: [colorforth] merging edit time and run time

Mark Slicker wrote:

I thought this was interesting:

http://subtextual.org/

I haven't had time to read the paper, but look at the demo to see a interactive programming environment which merges edit time and run time.

Mark

We could do something similar,    by ColorForth   having  two find methods:
* The first is the method currently used in load, a list of masked cell names. associated to code address.. ( fast find for load) * The second method would be used in edit, a list of pointers to names in source associated to code addresses. ( indirect with masking find for edit ) Edit would load source using the second method, building three lists: macro, forth, and names not found in macro or forth (define); after each User change in the source.. This would allow expanding or contracting source in an outline format from each name in list (macro forth define ). Words in source not defined yet would show up in the define list, as simulator stubs. When a stub is executed: display data and return stacks with possibly associated source and allow accept to record and execute definition. until the user is satisfied with definition. Then continue. When the user is finished the words in the define list would be on the load block for the new application. When this load block is then edited all the words would be in the macro or forth lists and the define list would be empty until a word is redefined with a word not currently defined. Words that control would need two different load blocks, one for load and one for the editor to simulate the control in a safe way for simulation (user responsibility).

Robert
PS .I need some one to implement the indirect name list compiler and find for us to implement this editor. I am to dyslexic an distracted with other things to implement this myself in the current colorForth. I can test integrate and advise on this project if you all can provide source.