Re: [colorforth] merging edit time and run time

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Roger Levy wrote:

actually, what i meant by "edit-time" behavior was thinking about being able to program words that can "do stuff" while you are working on the source code. small widgets, or built in graphics or database editors. just like how words can do stuff during compile time, perhaps there could be words that initiated tiny applications when you click on them with the mouse. but maybe that would be messy, and i think i'm getting off track here anyway.

I reread your post. I've seen Chuck talk about the all the different 'times' of a word[1], display/edit/compile/define/run time. He talks the different tables for edit and display time, indeed, in the editor there tables which provide an editing function and display function for the different word types. I would think the end behavior would be fixed, at least so long as the source format is agreed upon. Of course the exact presentation and interaction could change.

FML as described would provide a new color with words executed at display time. Without knowing the exact nature of these words, there should be some support for interaction if it is to support features commonly used in HTML like forms.

[1] http://www.strangegizmo.com/forth/ColorForth/msg01227.html