RE: [colorforth] Attempt to reassemble colorforth: the Mark Slicker bug

Hoi Albert,

I downloaded your color-bg.com image - unfortunately I no longer have a PC
that runs Chuck's ( or your ) binary. Something to do with an upgrade a year
or so back.
But I can confirm that your image produces the same red/green/blue colour
bars at the top of the screen as Chuck's binary.
Since the colour bars are probably an attempt at displaying the colorForth
logo, this means that most of the code is working - maybe just the address
of the video RAM buffer is wrong - so you're on the right track! Perhaps you
could merge your current code with the one of the other cf's which use other
methods of determining the video RAM address...

BTW if you click on color-bg.com using Windows 98 SE ( and presumably
earlier versions ) and answer YES to the "Run in MSDOS mode" option, Windows
will add a line to the c:\autoexec.bat file something like :
"CALL ........\COLOR-BG-COM" .
This will execute the colorForth binary every time Windows is started.
For most Windows users, this is a one-way operation, as you cannot get past
colorForth to boot Windows in order to disable it. IIRC there was an irate
post about this on clf when color.com was first released.

To return to normal Windows ( 98 SE )operation :
Press F8 as Windows is starting, and select "4. step-by-step confirmation".
Press "Y" repeatedly (about 15 to 20 times) until the "CALL
........\COLOR-BG-COM" line when you press "N".
Press "Y" again a few more times... Windows will then tidy up its mess, and
all will return to normal.

Hopefully anyone who has made their Win98 system comatose in this way will
be able to fix it, in order to read this email, and so find out how to fix
it.... ;)

Regards

Howerd  8^)