Re: [colorforth] Attempt to reassemble colorforth: the Mark Slicker bug

Hi Albert,
Ray here to say, "Me Too".

On 5/22/05, howerd.oakford <howerd.oakford@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hoi Albert,
>
> I downloaded your color-bg.com image - unfortunately I no longer have a PC
> that runs Chuck's ( or your ) binary. Something to do with an upgrade a year
> or so back.
> But I can confirm that your image produces the same red/green/blue colour
> bars at the top of the screen as Chuck's binary.

I did see, on the first boot attempt, bars that ran down the screen
that looked like `logo' but it was not "right", for want of a better
word.

> Since the colour bars are probably an attempt at displaying the colorForth
> logo, this means that most of the code is working - maybe just the address
> of the video RAM buffer is wrong - so you're on the right track! Perhaps you
> could merge your current code with the one of the other cf's which use other
> methods of determining the video RAM address...

I noticed that after starting the editor, displaying block 18 showed
code that belonged to Icons edit block. There was no other colorforth
code displayed on any other block.

I have done this below, and figured my own way out, this very methode,
It works to get you back just fine.

> BTW if you click on color-bg.com using Windows 98 SE ( and presumably
> earlier versions ) and answer YES to the "Run in MSDOS mode" option, Windows
> will add a line to the c:\autoexec.bat file something like :
> "CALL ........\COLOR-BG-COM" .
> This will execute the colorForth binary every time Windows is started.
> For most Windows users, this is a one-way operation, as you cannot get past
> colorForth to boot Windows in order to disable it. IIRC there was an irate
> post about this on clf when color.com was first released.
>
> To return to normal Windows ( 98 SE )operation :
> Press F8 as Windows is starting, and select "4. step-by-step confirmation".
> Press "Y" repeatedly (about 15 to 20 times) until the "CALL
> ........\COLOR-BG-COM" line when you press "N".
> Press "Y" again a few more times... Windows will then tidy up its mess, and
> all will return to normal.
>
> Hopefully anyone who has made their Win98 system comatose in this way will
> be able to fix it, in order to read this email, and so find out how to fix
> it.... ;)
>
> Regards
>
> Howerd  8^)

Howerd, I just wanted to report that...
while using cfdos4 to try to view a file I made on disk, the file will
not upload using `U'.
I copied file cf800.blk, called it play.blk, and tryed to upload 256
blocks to the selected play.blk file.

The light came on the floppy, I assume it was read, but the file did
not get written and the display  continued to show cf800.blk code in
my uploaded play.blk.

Thought you should know,

Ray

ps.
I'm using the cfdos to help me make several disks that I will use to
find the perfect machine :)
Wish me luck.

--
Ray St. Marie