Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

vaded@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
You may want to spend more time at ultratechnology.com.

I spent a lot of time at the original ultratechnology.com. It was a beautiful theory murdered by a gang of brutal facts. Also known as vaporware. Two or three people can have the greatest idea in the world, but if it doesn't get built and sold, it doesn't exist.

> I think you may
be severely underestimating how much cheaper a forth based solution could be, and the issue of application is software is trivial and a non-issue from my perspective (one person competent enough in forth methodology could write most the apps needed).

Well ... a Forth chip obviously will run Forth faster per watt or square centimeter of board or chip space than a conventional chip will. But put that chip on a board, add RAM, peripherals, a box, FCC compliance, power supplies, etc., and suddenly it looks like a computer with only the CPU more cost-effective than other solutions, and even then, only in the Forth language.

It's been a long time since I did any Forth programming, but from what I've seen, Forth, Inc. is about the only Forth business that's thriving. Now maybe -- just maybe -- SeaForth will catch on, but it's not going to be as a general-purpose computer.