Re: [colorforth] How to recreate the 31 July color.com

Hi Jason, Hello men!

Ray = **HERE**

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Jason Kemp <jason.kemp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Morning Ray,
> > Yo, Jason. :)
> > I have to ask,,, Did you happen to first copy over the first 18 blocks
> > with zeros before over writing?
> >
> No, well at least  _I_ didn't;

**HERE** Reason I ask is that I've written an image over an image in
the past but some how things from the file being written over were
"bleeding" thru like a bad paint job.

I'm sure it was the tool or process I was using at the time.
Sounds like you have a better tool. :-)

> the file created from
> http://colorforth.cvs.sourceforge.net/colorforth/colorforth/masm/ was
> 18k long.  At the end of color.asm is the directive
> org (1200h-1)*4
> dd 0
> which makes the file 18k long.  I assume that the linker I'm using
> therefore pads the file out with zeros from the end of the code to this
> point.  Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

**HERE** No, it's all good. :-)

> Then I used "Tiny Hexer" to paste this data over the start of the
> original 64k color.com.  (Actually this little program is good for
> writing the data straight to the boot sector (or any where) on a floppy,

**HERE** I've been using rawwriteWIN but i'm going to try the Tiny
Hexer soon, thanks for tip. :-)

> which saves a bit of time so you can boot colorForth directly rather
> than have to load DOS first and then run color.com)
>
> Following Nick's advice, I tried just pasting the first 12k, which
> leaves the icon data intact and then boots and runs perfectly for me.

**HERE** SWEET!! Nick's the man. Great work, men.

> > I'd also sorta like to see the finished image you have. If you are so
> > inclined please forward it to my public mail at Ray.stmarie AT
> > gmail.com.
> >
> Done
> > I'm so pleased to see you build this puzzle yourself.
> >
> Thank you.  It is a pleasure to investigate it.  I do hope that I can
> soon reach a point where I can offer something original to the list
> rather than ask questions that most of you answered seven or eight years
> ago.

**HERE** Please don't stop asking questions. :-)
You will have some we may never have considered.
I still ask. And I'm not afraid to look the fool infront of these very
kind and helpful men.  :-)

Questions create inventions from answers we already know.
( Heck that's nearly quotable. )

> Jason

My Respect,
Ray