Re: [colorforth] Booting from HDD

Ray back...nearly forgot...

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Nick Maroudas
<alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Ray,
>
> The same line, inserted into block 30, also booted the
> image which you sent me, namely:  myCF05.img
>
> Having proved that the display address from VBE call
> 4F01 is all that CF05 needs in order to boot new PC
> from
> floppy, I would now like to boot the same image from a
> USB thumbdrive stick. (Just for fun - legacy floppy and
> USB floppy will last my time :)  Having made a start by
> putting Howerd's color.blk (the image that boots on the
> most PCs) onto a stick, it booted up to the point where
> the floppy drive started to whirr.  Obviously, some
> part of the code was still looking to load from a real
> floppy.  If a boot floppy was then inserted, that
> carried the same image - color.blk - the thumbdrive
> boot process concluded succesfully.
>
> Next step: try booting CF05 from thumdrive in "no
> emulation" mode.  I believe this can be used to copy
> ALL the sectors into RAM (not just the boot sector) via
> INT13.  Then a minimal mod to Josh's code: jump over all
> the calls to real floppy hardware - probably to his line
> 123 "mov esi, maind" in "start2:" of his "boot.asm".
>
> Caritas,
>
> NickM
>
> *****
>
> Apology for writing so long; not enough time to make it
> short by writing the code.

Getting any where with the USB boot? I understand that Jeff recently
mentioned that Chuck can do so on a couple of machines which makes me
wonder about the current code included. I would seem to me that it may
be set up to be adjusted to certain machines by "white-out" wording.
lol finally a colorforth that uses white-out, this is what i've been
waiting for. Glypher had this early on, and I think also did Sean
Pringle's colorForth "Enth with Flux". Being able to change the color
of the word on the fly is making the configuration-file-sence of the
source code a reality. Code your code and put your adjustments for
differing situations in white and color them in when they are
necessary. Sort of starts to loosen some of the ideas of not codeing
for variations.

I'm hopping that maybe Chuck would like to spend a few minutes
explaining the proceedure he uses to boot on any one of the USB
booting machines he is currently having sucess with.

> Quoting Nick Maroudas on Wed 26 March
>
> >... " calls VBE 4f01....
> >... " Josh's CF05 has "displ" at byte address FA0,
> >... which is 3E8 in a CF dump.
> >... " So define a new hex word in block 30 (Colors
> etc)
>
> >... " plug this VBE address into Chuck's "displ" slot.
>

> >... "
> >... "    forth   : display 40000000 3E8 ! ;   display
> >... "
> >... "
> >... " and voila!  Sound and vision from JG's CF05 on a
> >... "
> >... " NickM
>
> >... "

Ray