Re: Output devices for MuP21

>On Mon, 21 Nov 1994, Eddie Matejowsky wrote:
>
>> Thanks Jeff for the reply. Your answers to my questions and other's
>> questions is making the picture a lot clearer.
>> >The P21Forth can use a parallel or serial keyboard.  So you can use a
>> >PC as host as was done on the Novix kits.
>> O.k. you can use a serial keyboard but what about a terminal. The question
>> is really - can I run the system without a NTSC monitor, they're fairly rare
>> in Australia.
>
>I personally will travel to Europe around Xmass and intend to use it on
>PAL/SECAM TV sets. The statements is, that since the video output is
>progamable, one could in principle write a driver to PAL. The unclear
>things are whether another xtall will be needed, and whether the voltage
>range of the output should be changed. Any book on video signals must
>have that info. Although I don't know of any, I'm willing to read one
>and write the driver, if anybody can suggest the title.
>
>--
>Penio Penev <Penev@venezia.Rockefeller.edu> 1-212-327-7423

Yes but can I run it without a monitor? I have no desire to run the p21
stand alone, yet. The forth I wrote/ported for the transputer, hc11 and hc16
all use a server I wrote for the p.c., the protocol lets the micro talk to
the p.c.s vdu,keyboard and disk system. If I get involved with the p21 I
will be porting my forth to it. Any stand alone system I build will probably
use lcds. The question is should I just start from scratch and not bother
with the software that come with the kit at all. The tranputer used link
adaptors and the c11 and c16 both use rs232 at 38.4 and 115 kbd with
hardware handshaking. I was thinking of looking into using a bidirectional
printer port for linking to the mup21. I have the p21 forth port earmarked
as a holiday project, I'm spending 2 weeks on a coral island with no
buildings on it yet alone power. I usually take a notebook p.c. but I
definitely won't be taking a monitor.
cheers Eddie.M.

Edward Matejowsky.
Queensland University of Technology
Centre for Eye Research
email E.MATEJOWSKY@QUT.EDU.AU
Wk +61 7 864 5731 Hm +65 7 2825382

There is nothing permanent except change.