Re: Speculation on ARM licensed by DRAM companies

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Robert J. Brown wrote:

>     Jack> 	Out in the wide world, Forth has vanished with hardly
>     Jack> a ripple. It comforts me that some of the 30-somethings with
>     Jack> whom I work have *heard* of Forth; rare are the
>     Jack> 20-somethings who have.
>
> Tell them to hit "STOP-A" on their Sun workstations and have at it! :->

Forth is out there, look at UPS' stylus+scanner gadget. It is just
invisible to the mainstream. Even in the embedded market most companies
haven't heard of Forth (I have shoehorned a C application into a 68HC11
derivate, a problem which had never arisen in Forth).

'gene

> (With thanks to Mitch Brady for making Forth the most wideley deployed
> language shipped in the ROM of a desktop machine.)

Whatever happened to PCI OpenBoot?