Re: intro

> Date sent:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 23:26:04 +0100 (MET)
> From:           Fare Rideau <rideau@ens.fr>
> To:             sv0o@hotmail.com (Sean Vincent)
> Copies to:      MISC (MISC mailing list)
> Subject:        Re: intro

> Dear Sean, dear MISCers,
>
> > I apologize if I'm barging in on discussions that I have no knowledge o=
> > ..   I subscribed to the MISC mailing list because I have a strong
> > interest in a drive to make more efficient software instead of buying
> > heftier hardware.  Is anyone else here? Do I have to have a CS degree t=
> > follow along?
> You might or not be interested in my Tunes project (see my .sig below).
>
> As in any domain, what counts most is motivation.
> Of course, though the degree itself is not much,
> something that DOES help is the fact of being able to freely study
> for several years in a proper environment,
> with a varsity library, insightful teachers, and fellow students.
> You sure CAN learn the same (and more) outside of such an environment,
> but it's harder and demands more motivation.

A funny thing a freind of mine who is a high up in the IT department
of my last uni said.  It went something lie this, that while a
person with the experience can do the job people with degrees tend to
think beyond the job and can progress further.  He himself was
recruited back in the late 70's from senior yaer at high school to
meet a shortage.  He has done well and is very proficent and respected
in his job but he definitly does see the advantage of degrees in the
computer feild at least.  One explanation is that doing the
formalised heavy study required expands your minds potential,
another is that it shows you new ideas and teachs you how to think
differently towards the greater horizon.

I found that I seem to be able to take things on board much better
myself, and I had the ability to think about broader ideas anyway.
Now beleive it or not I probably would get greater pleasure writing
novels, but that doesn't pay the bills.

> > As for MISC itself, I fear
that people at iTV are overworked:
> they try to do too much with too small funds, i.e. developing
> a new chip design, a new micro-electronic implementation technology,
> a new OS, new language, new compilers, new libraries, new documentation,
> new interface, new everything. They're reinventing computing from almost
> scratch, with low-level tools and little resources (seems to me
> that they are far below the point where non-linearity effects prevent
> progress by spending more ressources, but I'm too far away to be sure).
> I hope they succeed, but it's too bad we can't see usable results at reac=
> h.

Good to here they are doing that.

Wayne.

Wayne Morellini  <wmor1@student.monash.edu.au>

Former Post Graduate Student Representative.
Rusden Campus, Deakin University, Vic, Australia.

GradDip Media Studies (Current), Bach InfoTech (Distinction)
& AD Business (Computing).