Re: MISC-d Digest V97 #49

> F21 is not designed to run UNIX and an OS that provides multi-threading,
> multi-processing, distributed I/O, and distributed debugging will be
> needed for an F21 multiprocessor.  Fortunately much of it can be done
> with a couple of words and most everything available in Linda and in
> Occam can be provided at the same time with only a handful or words
> with an SMP (Symetric MultiProessing) model.
>
> Just as we can do a GUI with support for video hardware windows acceleration
> in a couple of K of code instead of the more conventional multi megs of
> code we can provide multiprocessor support with a very compact language
> and OS model.
>
> Of course F21 are still costing me about $500 each at the moment, and
> the last batch of 25 are very disfunctional.  A handful of chips still
> costs more than several new PCs.  I guess it is time to gamble another
> $10k on another F21 fab run.

I agree with you on the OS GUI issue, I showed some people the
Geoworks based Newdeal Publisher shareware version come up in les
than 4 seconds and shut down in less than 2 (with the document in the
state that you closed down was less than 8 seconds and less than 4
seconds).  Needless to say they were very impressed as well as the
fact that the ND office package fits in 9MB HD space and can even run
on a 2Mb XT.  Win 95 could learn a lot from the pre-emptive
OO Geoworks designs of 5 years ago, but to me Geoworks is still too
big, I like Jeffs ideas much better.

Wayne.

> Jeff Fox              jfox@dnai.com
> Ultra Technology Inc. http://www.dnai.com/~jfox/

Wayne Morellini  <wmor1@student.monash.edu.au>

Former Post Graduate Student Representative.
Rusden Campus, Deakin University, Vic, Australia.

GradDip Media Studies (Current), Bach InfoTech (Distinction)
& AD Business (Computing).