Re: Home built PCBs

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 wmor1@student.monash.edu.au wrote:
> Not like me a number of months ago, testing out an old idea
> of where ever photocopier toner was conductive or not so I
> could make Macro Roms.  Of course I got infinitive
> resistence on my Multi-metre.
>
> Anybody interested in homebrew, there are a number of these schemes
> using ink jet printer technology and macro-circuits on the peices of
> plastic, using variouse drawings for the components.  So maybe we
> could make processor designs with this.
>
> Certainly would be cheaper than fabbing, but who would be interested
> in buy these macro products, wouldn't they be too slow and not as
> effective as surfacemounting a real chip?

A 500-MHz Alpha can add two 64-bit numbers in 2 ns, more or less.

My brain can't do so much as fire a neuron in 2,000,000 ns.

But my brain has a lot of neurons, because neurons are cheaper than
Alphas, and so it's actually capable of doing quite a bit.

I'd be happy if I could do so much as print out a 4-bit, 1-KHz-clock stack
machine on a piece of paper.  The researchers I referred to at
POEM.princeton.edu seem to have much more than that in mind, although at a
little greater expense.

Does anyone know of cheap ways of printing semiconductor components onto
paper or transparency film?  :)

Kragen