Re: Re: MISC personal computers

Jaap wrote:
>Why write a new OS? We already have too many. Port Linux.

Because it's fun, and because legacy OS's exceed an individual's
ability to understand entirely.  FORTH enjoys (some say: "suffers
from") easy customization, and spontaneous mutation.

FORTH's alleged lack of portability is greatly exaggerated, and the
debug cycle is typically very quick.

My experience is that complete re-writes are easier *and* more
successful than ports -- if only via benefit of recognizing past
mistakes that became entrenched.

An open (net-based) development community could spring-up painlessly,
given the intial release of a clean and efficient microkernel.  Add a
file-abstraction mech, and voila! -- you now have a respectable
platform.

>Going multi-processor is a weakness offer
>(and adding an enormous amount of undue complexity at the same
time).

I completely and abolutely disagree with this comment.

cheers   - vic