Re: MISC personal computers

>    Does anyone think that a personal computer with a MISC CPU would become
>popular?  That is, a machine designed for home use, with a GUI, a
>Forth-based OS, and all.  I guess what I am asking is: could MISC one day
>supplant the PC as the dominant computer in the home? :) I am very
>interested in this subject.

I would be very interested in this too. I think if an open source forth system
with networking capability and basic network services (mail, http, etc)
that would fit on a floppy say... It would provide a foundation to building
a GUI, and other applications. Oh yeah, and multitasking of course. ;)

As someone else mentioned, using multiple cpu's would be a great idea. At a
minimum there should be 2. One (or more) for i/o, and one (or more) for
the os/applications. It seems stupid to bog down your main processor to
handle i/o, making you aplication performance suffer unecessarily.

I would also be interested in creating something similar for a "generic"
x86 pc, something like a basic linux(unix) work-alike that had basic
commands to manipulate a file system, and other useful things like
tar, compress/zip, telnet, cat, ping, etc.

I would like to do all this in forth. Right now I'm still learning it though...

-lon