Re: MISC not for embedded?

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 05:17:05 -0400 (EST), MISC@pisa.rockefeller.edu wrote:
> I agree with all of this.  My company uses embedded processors
> extensively in monitoring applications.  We never need speed.

> > Speed is often not essential.

And then there are plenty of embedded applications that do need
speed.  Real time anything, and of course, all of the zillions of
comms-based applications.  Moto is making a killing by completely
dominating the embedded comms processor market - the 68302 ran out of
gas quickly.  The 68360 was a minor improvement.  I've worked on an
MPC860 project where we could easily foresee the need for more speed,
and the newest member of that family, the MPC8260, looks just like it
will fit the bill.  Each one was a significant increase in speed over
its predecessor, and I am sure almost anyone using one of these can
envision applications where the particular processor they are using
is just not grunty enough.

FWIW,

Arnim.
--
Arnim Littek                                        arnim@actrix.gen.nz
Actrix Networks                Wellington's Community Internet Provider