3D worlds

Hello I have finally got through around 1mb of misc mail with all the good
stuff I missed.

Catching up on the last couple of months (3D down furthure):

I can hardly remember what was being talked about a couple of months ago,
but a easy target for an up and running Misc system would be to use PC
hardware.  Variouse PC boards are available down to approx 2 by 1 inch and
could be used as an I/O and display server.  The busses that could be used
include PCI, ISA, IDE and firewire. A 386 server could be sent display
command, video, or compressed video and i/o commands to the server to
establish a misc system for forth users.

It was suggested that a system be designed with
floppy/serial/parralel/keyboard etc ports. By the time such a board was
designed devices that use Firwire (50Mbytes/s pluss), USB (1 and a bit MB
per second) and Bluetooth (wireless radio interface supported by Mobile
Phone manufacturers instead of infrared) will be available.  So a design to
use these new interfaces would probably be simpler in hardeware terms
(Optical firewire will hit 400Mbytes per second and wireless firewire a over
128Mbytes per second).

Somebody asked about serial flash beyond 1MB in size, I believe National has
a cheap and sucessful board level serial bus and they announced something
like 4MB (or was that 4Mb) sized chips a few years ago.

I believe there are nich markets for the chips out there.  An intergrated
WP(with printer)/Internet/Java machine/storage would supply most of non
computer literates needs at a low cost (except the Playstation).  VGA
Monitors (particularly secondhand) are so cheap that TV's virtually are not
needed anymore.

Another idea I have been thinking of is to add a chip to a small colour
handheld, there are a number of game units out there.  For instance the GB
has a 65000+ colour 320*280 screen from Sharp. If (I haven't looked)it has
the normal RGB colour cell structure then it should be possible to get
960*280 Black text(with white background) resolution by using each colour
cell, enough for web browsing.  There is a GB developement Web ring out
there with hardware and programming specs for the old Black and White GB at
the moment.

3d stuff, what I have been wanting to discuss for months is about what
FPU/INteger requirements are need for 3D, and I think some of you 3d types
out there might be able to help me.

If somebody was to make a say, 320*280, 16-bit colour 3D games machine what
processing power would you require.  I have read in a 3dfx faq that
suggested 80Million Polygons per second (though this could be a miss-quote
from Pixa's 80M per frame).  Assuming it is per second, given 4000*4000*25
frames per second we get 5 pixels per polygon.  So 320*280/5 is around
600,000 full featured polygons persecond (allready surpassed by 3d
accelerators.  Now the new Playstation can produce around 34 million fully
featured polygons per second for 7.2 G/flops.  Which adds upto approximately
200 million floating point opperations per 1 million pollygons, or around
120 million for 600,000 polygons.  How realistic are these figures, for you
guys who know the calculations, and how can we archieve them in misc, or can
we use another more integer based methord?

Wayne Morellini