Re: website for MISC

Ermmm.... all the www.misc. domains have been taken (.org, .net and .com).
I did say it was open to suggestions!!
It's a good point though, about searching for informatiom, it's not a 'different' enough name and it does turn up in a lot of maths references ('minima') This applies to the single key word search, which I suppose is the more common.
I had thought of a different name, though I don't think it would be easy to search through either, it is www.<.org (ie: the 'less than' symbol which is an idea that came to mind in case we went for a logo) ...even www.m.org is already registered...
(Some other ideas I had, for the curious: Negative expansion (www.negex) Inverse Expansion (www.invex) BitByBit and CodaMinima, a combination of Fox and Moore, even the name of a 'minimalist' artist would do!!)

I suppose we're not going to get a unanimous agreement, but even if you don't like the name then at least choose one that you could be 'happy' with, it may even grow on you.

Luis.

>>> "Graeme Dunbar" <G.R.A.Dunbar@eee.rgu.ac.uk> 19/07/99 11:07:17 >>>
I may be going against the flow, but hasn't anyone else noticed
that though Forth is a cute name it is an absolute sod when it
comes to searching for information on whether it is in a library or on
on the web. The same applies to minima, minimal or minimum.
What is wrong with www.misc.....?

On 19 Jul 99, at 10:08, Luis Commins wrote:

> Cor!! I wasn't expecting anyone to offer cash for space!! I was thinking
> on the lines of members/contributors having free space. I can get a good
> deal on the name and some 20 MB of space, so I reckon initially there
> would be no charge as there wouldn't be that much stuff on the site, but
> it's a good point if we need to get more space.
>
> Lloyd Prentice has offered space on his server, and the nice thing is that
> it would be managed and interactive, where I would only offer design and
> space. This isn't fully confirmed so don't all jump on him!! Then the site
> would be 'relocated' if there is enough flow of information. Lloyd: are
> the 'tools' you mentioned platform specific? (ie: UNIX or other type of
> server only?)
>
> Oh, 'www.minimal.org' is not taken either. I kinda like 'minimum.org', but
> we need a vote on this. I'll plump for the cash so that we can at least
> have it registered as soon as possible, soooooo VOTE NOW!! Any other name
> suggestions welcome, here are the possibles so far:
>
> www.minimum.org
> www.minima.org
> www.minimal.org
>
> VOTE NOW!!
>

> Luis.

> I think
>   http://www.minimum.org
> or
>   http://www.minima.org
> would be cool.
>
> I would pay $4/month + $25 startup fee if I could put my web pages at
>   http://www.minima.org/~cary
> .
> No direct telephone access, just let me FTP to upload files to my
> directory.
>
> Has "www.minimal.org" been taken ?
>
> >Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:03:28 +0100
> >From: Luis Commins <Luis@ucea.ac.uk>
> >To: misc
> >Subject: Re: RE: Chuck's SVFIG talk
> >Much as a manifesto is a good thing I think the main issue/problem is
> >gumption. It's nice to know what the group is aiming at but without the
> >'push' there is little we can shove the way of the general industry. If
> >we can agree on some structure, and take charge of certain issues, we
> >could go a long way. Lets get a website, lets think of applications in
> >both hardware and software and flesh out the bones, MuP21, FPGA whatever,
> >lets set up a central repository of information. Compare what we have
> >with what we want and see how to get what we need.
> >Poo, not another long email...anyway, all the .com, .org and .net
> >variants of www.misc have been taken. www.minimum.org is NOT taken, if
> >you all agree I can buy this name and set up a simple site to start with.
> >I'd welcome other suggestions!!  For example: www.minima.org is free too.
> >Please let me know as soon as possible, net names are very volatile.

        Regards,
            Graeme

 Graeme Dunbar
 School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
 The Robert Gordon University
 Schoolhill, Aberdeen AB10 1FR, Scotland, U.K.
 Tel. +44 1224 262415
 Fax  +44 1224 262444
 email  g.r.a.dunbar@rgu.ac.uk
 www    http://www.eee.rgu.ac.uk/staff/esgrad/