Re: MISC-d Digest V99 #99

MISC-d-request@pisa.rockefeller.edu wrote:

> MISC-d Digest                           Volume 99 : Issue 99
>
> Today's Topics:
>          Re: MISC-d Digest V99 #97

> Subject: Re: MISC-d Digest V99 #97
> Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 21:47:55 -0800
> From: Cyan Cernwnos <grundhog@travelin.com>
> To: misc
>
> Yesterday at the Windows CE Tour at the San Jose Wyndham I watched
> as le monsieur from Microsoft assembled what seemed to be a jillion
> lines of code to create an image to download to a small Sherry pentium
> based single-board right there on the lecturn. He said you should
> incrementally compile then download, then add your application. But
> he then violated his own advice by assembling a small application at the
> same time as the CE system. The laptop compiled for a full ten minutes,
> and the download had fatal errors. No time to redo it for the demo.
> Listening to all the guffaws in the audience, I knew I would not under-
> stand what errors the guy made or what the code did not do. I can barely
> understand what is going on inside Forth.
> Charles Moore says you should wright 1x code. He also says you should
> write your own browser. I would like to try this, if anyone out there
> can point me the way ??

> >(:   Cyan Cernwnos
> grundhog@travelin.com
 One thing you should do is go to the ITVC.com site - ITV is the company
 producing Chuck's I21 chip and using it in a internet web-tv mode. They
 have a description of their operation system and you should be able to
learn some things about the basic functions that are needed. Also
Chuck's description of his latest version of color Forth shows a
description of manipulation of a graphic file. There is a print out on
Jeff Fox's site - value.net/~ut/. You will have to find the color Forth
file from there.
   Basic functions I know you need.
  a. basic cold boot forth system for a start
  b. block or file words - if you are going to include a flash drive
    like ITV does - consider using the multimedia card from sandisk.
    It has operation system type commands and 7 input wires - much
easier that smartflash - download the manual from the Sandisk site
  c. block or word editor
  d. modem hardware and software
     Chuck's I21 has such hardware somewhate incorporated.
     Jeff's F21 may be able to do some of these things from
I/o           processors
  e. tcp/ip ppp slip and other protocals - big book stores or linux
sites  print the details

    If Itv makes their product available in the 50 to 150 dollar range
     get one and modify it if you like for your own uses - Doing a forth
   browser would make doing commands like those done by pearl much more
   integrated. Linux has all the tools for browsers, webservers and
pearl and under gnu the scource is available - If we could do a forth
machine browser it would take a lot less code and may be flexible
 enough to keep up with the microsoft web changes they try to
incorporate .