Re: MISC-d Digest V00 #11

Wayne Morellini writes:
 > ---
 > I guess it's just a promotion (half price), but right now there's a
 > $99 internet box that looks like the real deal...

It's $99, plus very stiff $40 shipping (it's sold out at circuit city,
but you can preorder there or from the company directly). Also you
have to pay the ISP rate for a month before you can cancel ($21
iirc). To put another operating system you'll need a 2.5" drive (I
ordered 1.2 GByte for $68), a special EIDE cable and a mount bracket
(kit $35 apiece).

So it ain't as ridiculously cheap as it may appear, but it's cheap
enough (800x600 hicolor 10" LCD alone is worth it). I've ordered two
of the units for lab data acquisition and viz purposes (unit is thin
enough to be mounted on the front of a 19" rackmount case, and the
display could take a touchscreen overlay).

 > For $99 you get 32MB RAM, USB, modem, sound, colour LCD, keyboard,
 > mouse, and a 16MB flash disk.  And IDE support, though a disk doesn't
 > come with it.
 >
 > ITV, eat your heart out.
 >
 > http://www.linux-hacker.net/iopener
 > http://www.netpliance.com
 > ---
 >
 > Why would they want to put Linux on it, QNX is a far superior OS (Ask the
 > disgruntled Amiga fans who were told that QNX, for their new machines, was
 > to be dropped for Linux on pure PC political reasons).

QNX doesn't come with source. Drivers are limited to what comes with
it, and it does not contain any software development goodies. All you
get is a naked root shell, and a couple of barebone binaries.  You can
of course still save the flash drive image, if you have to.

 > Speaking of Transmedia Cruoso chip, I was trying to find out what happened
 > to the Amiga thing (apart from Linux being dropped for the vastly superior
 > Toas based OS)it appears that the new Amiga was to use the chip.  Somebody

Why would one want to know anything about zombie vapourware? I lost my
hopes and retired my 1987 A2000 two years after Amiga went
bankrupt. Even if they would be selling at Fry's right now, it would
be either a highly obsolete technology, or a brand new (incompatible,
proprietary) system whatsoever. Then why not BeOS (which has no point
either, but be my guest).