Re: MISC-d Digest V00 #17

From: "Graeme Dunbar" <G.R.A.Dunbar@eee.rgu.ac.uk>

>This makes good sense Don. It is not quite the same thing, but I was
>surprised to find that the ARM (Acorn RISC machine) is embedded in so
>many custom chips. The Acorn Archimedes was never a great commercial
>success - it was ahead of its time and suffered from being the >product of
>small company with the usual British level of financial backing. It >is
>good to
>see the design get the (belated) recognition it deserves.

Actually to the origional poster (Allan Grimes I think).  If you go to the
www.arm.com (the manufacturer) web site you will find that they have free
designs for whole systems based on their chips.  They have cobined 1.5bips
processor, 64 Bit ARM processors (are supposed to be comming), and higher
speed lower powered versions of the 32-bit line.  OS's Elate (The Toas one),
Linux, Java (I think) & Epoch 32 (Psion), and of course Arm RISC-OS (Galileo
version died I think but would be up there with Toas).  I like them over
Mips myself.

Wayne.