code faith

When the subject of programming religions came up I was going to
toss in parts of the introduction Frank Sergeant wrote for Pygmy
Forth.

> Unlike some languages I might mention, Forth is so simple we do
> not need to take it on faith.  We can see it and test it, rather
> than having to "believe" and "hope" and "trust."

----
Second thought, there is a use for faith in programming. When you
learn a new language and see examples of work done by others, you
need to have enough faith that you too will eventually be able to
do something significant.

I was inspired to learn programming by some artists I have met,
notably Ed Tannenbaum, who uses Forth in his projects. But so sorry,
after programming many projects, such as motion control systems
i am still a raw beginner. I see other peoples work that is factored
more elegantly, runs faster, appears more understandable than mine.
I am humbled, but not to the point that I can consider any of my
models unapproachable priests, let alone dieties. Eventually i may
be able to hack the very clay upon which the code runs, as does Chuck.