home .. forth .. nosc mail list archive ..

[NOSC] CAD tools (was: Verilog)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:56:21PM -0500, Eric Laforest thus spake:
> Is there a free/cheap schematic capture program for DOS/Win/Unix
> that can export to netlists or such so as to be suitable for
> FPGA implementation?
> (and capable of simulation would be a plus)

Well, I found an answer to my question.

Here's the blurb:

The Electric(TM) VLSI Design System
is a complete Electronic Design Automation (EDA)
system that can handle many forms of circuit design, including:
Custom IC layout
Schematic Capture (digital and analog)
Textual Languages such as VHDL and Verilog
Electro-mechanical hybrid layout
Programmable logic (FPGAs)
...and much more.

http://www.staticfreesoft.com/electric.html

It seems to be a very mature and clean UNIX/Win32/Mac program.
I had almost no problems compiling it.
Ran through the basic tutorial no prob.
So far so good.
If it can do what I think it can do (export a digital schematic to many output
formats like Verilog, VHDL, EDIF, etc...) then I have a second chance.

Of course...I'm also *eagerly* awaiting the release of OKAD II. :)
Defining Forth machines in Forth would be nirvana I presume.

Eric LaForest