Re: [colorforth] Low res or low color ColorForth

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004, Frank Kujawski wrote:

> This would be an excellent time to look at assigning a block(s) just for
> video, defining API's and then letting anybody write custom drivers for
> cards that would be able to 'dropped-in'.
> 	Frank

Chuck has the following list:

  Various graphic accelerators

    * Frame swapping
    * Transparent characters
    * Solid rectangle
    * Solid triangle
    * Z buffer

The first three I have interpreted as show, emit, and box respectively.
And I have implemented this in my G400 driver.

If it simply a matter of strategy I would support only the most recent
video cards, and of those that are most popular, or ones with the best
documentation. My driver for the Matrox G400 is based on complete
documentation provided by Matrox.

While it is conceptually nice to find new uses of old hardware, you could
hypothetically make a lifes work out supporting all variations of the PC.
Besides this, the assumptions you make about hardware impact what you can
can do in software. If you make the platform so broad you will not be
able take advantage of the progress made in graphic technology of the
last 6 years or so.

Mark