Re: [colorforth] Assembler or machinecode. Was Re: [colorforth] New Linux 4word

On 4/13/05, John R. Strohm <strohm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'll go for the simple boot sector.  And if you can throw in pointers to
documentation on how to do a boot sector, and how to deal with modern hard
drives at the lowest level, I'd be interested in that as well.

[to which ] Chris Walton wrote:

nondot.org/~sabre
look for the os development articles, theres lots there

Nick here:
Thanks for the website; it helped me understand the boot segment of cf.asm
but it doesn't explain why that simple boot sector has failed so many newbies. No longer my problem (having found the right dodge by trial and error, for Win95 on my Asus P2) but would be interested to learn: How would you change the code to load in more cases?

Regards

Nick