Re: [colorforth] Assembler or machinecode. Was Re: [colorforth] New Linux 4word

Theres several BIOS bugs where registers and segments arent the way
they're supposed to. I don't know if this is an issue, but its one
thing to keep a lookout for. Another might be to use the BIOS in
general a bit more extensively, even though its easier not to use it
quite often.

The bootsector I wrote for retroforth will boot on pretty much any 386
PC, I believe, as long as the floppy drive works.

On 4/14/05, Dr Nick Maroudas <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/13/05, John R. Strohm <strohm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'll go for the simple boot sector.  And if you can throw in pointers to
> documentation on how to do a boot sector, and how to deal with modern hard
> drives at the lowest level, I'd be interested in that as well.
>
> [to which ] Chris Walton wrote:
>
> >nondot.org/~sabre
> >look for the os development articles, theres lots there
> >

> Nick here:
>
> Thanks for the website; it helped me understand the boot segment of cf.asm
> but it doesn't explain why that simple boot sector has failed so many
> newbies.
> No longer my problem (having found the right dodge by trial and error,
> for Win95 on my Asus P2) but would be interested to learn:  How would
> you change the code to load in more cases?
>
> Regards
>
> Nick

Chris Walton
arke on irc.freenode.net