Re: [colorforth] Assembler or machinecode. Was Re: [colorforth] New Linux 4word

>On Apr 10, 2005 8:01 PM, Ray St. Marie <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>On Apr 9, 2005 2:25 PM, Dr Nick Maroudas  wrote:
>>[snip]I am trying to make sense of the present boot code, but what do floppy disc and Intel CPU want from each other? (Ray, does this qualify for the most stupid question?)
>>[snip]
>>Regards,
>>
>>Nick
>>
>>Ray here,
>>Ordinarily, Doctor, I would have to say "yes, stupid question".
>>BUT most stupid?
>>
>>Being as I don't know the answer to either one of your questions,
>>neither one qualifies for most stupid, I suppose.

Nick here:

Ray, it's reassuring to learn that somebody else doesn't know the answers
to my stupid questions.

and Chris Walton wrote:

> (snip)
>
>You know, I've written a lot of bootsectors and I'd be willing to >write one thats a bit less selective about the hardware, and is a
>drop-in replacement for the colorforth one.  (snip)
> Regards, Chris

Nick here:

Chris, your unfussy bootsector might answer those pleas for help that pop up regularly in the CF list. As I understand it, Chuck's boot.asm has no BIOS calls. Surely the BIOS exists for the very good reason that each manufacturer of a specific, quirky piece of hardware (the "BrandX" PC) is obliged to provide a reliable interface for software in general? Terry increased the number of successful boots by adding one little trick from a BIOS onto Chuck's code. So why not try a modular boot segment that calls more of the PC's own BIOS? Wouldn't this increase success with different "BrandX" PCs?

One could also add a short overall explanation of what the CF core needs for a boot. Tim has already added some helpful comments to his two nasm versions of Chuck's masm listing (colorN.asm & cmcolor.lst). Terry's 4Word "colorless colorforth" also contains helpful documentation. But there is no overall explanation of what the boot needs to set up in terms of CF's architecture; certainly not the way that people used to write whole books explaining FIG & F83.

Regards,

Nick