Re: [colorforth] colorForth under Qemu

--- Terry Loveall <loveall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To answer my own question, I have got my modified
> 800x600 colorForth to _run_
> under qemu-0.7.0. Won't boot 'cause the qemu
> emulated floppy interface is not
> set up at fd chip level. Probably would work if the
> floppy I/O was BIOS based.
>
> Instead, I have a bare DOS boot image with just
> io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com
> and c4.com. Tell qemu to boot this floppy image and
> when it comes up to a DOS
> command line, execute c4.com. This loads into memory
> and then copies 64k to
> address 0 and runs colorForth, so the floppy I/O is
> never used.
>
> You have 64k of colorForth and block screens. The
> 'alt' key used is the _left_
> alt key. Aside from that and not being able to write
> to floppy, colorForth
> works just fine.

Hello Terry.  Due to the fact that my main
ColorForth machine is on it's last legs I
decided to give this a try.  (Often I just use
CFW, but lately I was trying to do some stuff
that isn't working under it.  More on that in
another post).

Anyway I'm running Windows XP.  For anyone else
that's following this route, I wrote a batch
file similair to your qemu.sh:

qemu\qemu -L qemu\ -localtime -user-net -boot a -fda
c4th.img

Basically I just needed to reverse the slashes
and remove the $@ at the end.

Not being able to save my colorforth work under
it is a drag.  It's interesting that I can save
to the "DOS image" (like creating "copy con"
text files.)

Anyway, thanks for the work.

Regards,

John M. Drake