Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 01:50:12PM -0800, Jeff Fox wrote:
> > I wanted a Cray once. :) But seriously, I wouldn't know what to do with
> > a billion or trillion Forth MIPS. And I'm one of the first few thousand
> > people in the USA to have an XO, clocking in at only something like 400
> > - 800 MFLOPS.
>
> I can't afford to power a Cray.  But seriously, if my PC were
> a million times faster or a billions times faster that would
> be better than what I have now and I could do more.  I would
> never have to wait for weeks for a PC to complete some
> 'relatively simple' calculation like I do now.

Funny, that we're talking about this. At the end of the 80's
Shell was replacing Crays with transputers, for some tasks at
least. I was a teamleader, doing geologic modelling.

I wanted a transputer network for myself. And my prayers have
been answered. I bought the original Atair workstation stuff
(from 100.000 guilders down to about 1000 for 16 transputers).
Then I could borrow a real supercomputer a Parsytec with 64
computing nodes and did a twin prime counting program on a
network of over a hundred. I could afford the electricity,
but in the summer it went too hot and tend to blow fuses ...

> Best Wishes

Groetjes Albert