Re: [colorforth] How to recreate the 31 July color.com

Hi all, Ray's back...

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Jason Kemp <jason.kemp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Charley & John,
>
> Firstly I should have said that I have a (very old) computer

Please, can you add some specifics? Pentium 2? Speed?

> that runs
> colorForth

EXCELLENT!

> and the disk and video work perfectly.  Having saved
> colorForth I also can now boot it directly.  Only the 31 July version
> works though--none of the modified or later variants boot.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is to assemble the 'kernel' source, somehow
> add in the colorForth source (all that which I think available to edit
> from block 18 onwards) and then run this.  MASM compiles and links the
> code to a DOS .COM file, so I then boot the computer with a DOS floppy
> and try running the program.
>
> I've just been trying to find out where I picked up this idea from (I've
> downloaded so many bits and pieces I've lost track) and I've found it
> was zip file of Terry Loveall's 800x600 at
> http://modest-proposals.com/binary/c4-800x600-p2bd-02.zip but this
> specific version didn't work for me.
>
> Jason

Okay Jason if I understand you correctly you are trying to mate a
colorforth kernel to a colorforth bytecoded section.

If this be the case, you might find that Howerd Oakford's cfdos
version 4 has a clever facility to accomplish this.

http://www.inventio.co.uk/cfdos.htm

If you are a little more brave you can use a hex editor, and this is
what I typpically do, tho I started mateing systems using Howerds code
viewer, the cfdos series of programs at his site.

If this is what you are trying to accomplish, then say and if you need
help, ask. :)

Ray.

> John Comeau said the following on 22/02/2008 19:16:
>
> > Hi Jason, the color.com file is what was saved after loading the
> > high-level colorForth code, so it has a lot more data in the lookup
> > tables than does the bare-bones code assembled from the sources. Also,
> > the sources have a glaring off-by-one error that causes code to load
> > at the wrong location, hence Charley's advice might work.
> >
> > But even running it as a DOS program won't help if you don't have
> > exactly the right hardware. You might need to use a different
> > colorForth compiled for your own graphics card.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM,  <cshattuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I vaguely remember that what was created with an assembler had to be run from a DOS boot disk.  In other words, it's a DOS program, not a native colorforth.  Am I wrong?  Then when and if it runs you can save it as a native colorforth floppy with SAVE.
> >>
> >>  I hope that helps,
> >>  Charley.

Raymond St. Marie ii,