Home built PCBs

Hi,

Is this what was asked about in the other email?

Greetings,
Jaap

>Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:44:40 -0500
>From: "Richard Mustakos, VMI '82" <mustakos@mrj.com>
>To: ganswijk@xs4all.nl
>Subject: Home built PCBs
>
>I don't remember where, but some time ago I read an article on
>environmentally sound home manufacture of PCBs.  The upshot is that you
>can have as complex a design as you want, in terms of layers, but that
>you need to make a through hole mask as well.
>
>You Need:
>   a sturdy piece of thin fiberglass (or some other insulator)
>   a laser printer with a straight through paper path
>   conductive paste, I think it is silver based, but there may
>      be
>   a squeegee
>
>The procedure is this:
>   Make each lead mask layer,
>   Make a through hole layer
>   Invert all layers (traces white and open space black)
>
>   print side 1 negative on the plate
>   squeegee conductive paste into the places where there is no toner
>   (I think you bake it to set the paste, but I'm not sure)
>   print though hole layer negative on top of side 1
>   squeegee conductive paste into the places where there is no toner
>   bake, if needed
>   print side 2 negative on the plate
>   squeegee conductive paste into the places where there is no toner
>   bake, if needed
>   print though hole layer negative on top of side 2
>   squeegee conductive paste into the places where there is no toner
>   bake, if needed
>   print side 3 negative on the plate
>   squeegee conductive paste into the places where there is no toner
>   bake, if needed
>   print though hole layer negative on top of side 3
>   squeegee conductive paste into the places where there is no toner
>   bake, if needed
>
>The procedure is most likely clear by now ;)
>
>Good points:
>   There are no chemical pollution as a result of this process
>   It will make boards of arbitrary complexity
>
>Bad points
>   your laser printer has to register fairly well
>   you have to be good with a squeegee
>   you have to be careful not to damage the existing traces
>   it is labor intensive
>   I think the conductive paste is expensive, but I'm not sure
>   you can only solder to one side, so you can only have components on
>one side unless you do surface mount for some and dips for others, then
>the dips have to be on one side, and the surface mounts have to be on
>the other.
>
>I'd like to give credit, 'cause I kow this is someone elses idea, but
>I'lll be damned if I know whose.
>Good luck
>RM

Greetings,
Jaap

-- Chip Directory
-- http://www.chipdir.com/chipdir/
-- http://www.glasnet.ru/~gvital/electron/chipdir/ - Moscow, New!
-- http://www.xtremetech.com.au/chipdir/ - New site in Australia!
-- (And about 20 other mirror sites world-wide.)
--
-- To ask/read questions and read answers, there's a free