Re: Firewire/3D/embedded

Heres the origional reply:

>Sender: galexand@sietch.bloomington.in.us

> >A Firewire 3.2Gb/s optical (or double line 6.4Gbs) has PCI 64 type speeds
> >surely in the future supporting just a firewire type interface instead of
> >the rest would enable Misc access to all periphial devices planned foir
>it
> >(just about everything if you include the wireless version including hard
> >drives).  This would cut out the required inrterfacing for seperate IDE,
> >floppy etc etc and proabably wouldn't add muck more coding than would be
> >needed to support just the common devices.
>
>Just in case you care, the point of MISC isn't to make a replacement for
>the bloated desktop computers of today.  The point of MISC is to make

Sorry many people have discussed MISC as a replacement for the desktop in
the past in the list and even now there has been discussion of a misc feild
programmed device with all p20 hardware and extra standalone i/o features in
future.  For me I have given up on the idea years ago as I saw the
increasing complexity of desktop type features and a lot of it's problems
have been cured by higher performance and newer OS's.  But neverthe less a
desktop with Misc would be great, under Win API's the processing power of
Jeff's proposed  wafer based super misc would not only be usable but
sellable.

>something that's simple, small, and reasonable, through and through.
>Talking to desktop media is nice for mainstream acceptance in a
>heterogenous environment, but that's not reallywhere modern MISC is
Well virtually all the ideas I suggest are minium and doable and marketable
(the more the better) and I stress miniumable.  These are minium
implementations based on misc products and keep with the philosiphy.  We
also need marketable products, I don't really want to see Jeff having spent
hundred's of thousands of dollers on f21 sitting on 10, 000 chips that
nobody really wants to buy because there ill suited to the market.  With
them being as usefull as a backside scratcher.  For example when Harris
bought out the marketable RTX we had our fill of experimentation at cheap
prices for the 80's.  There is only one future to fund all this development
and that is marketability or other money source.  I suggested embedded
because our uniquness is not so much a problem yet and is miniumable.
Firewire offers a fast cheap interface that allows people (even hobbyist
like us) to muck around with all the equipment and covers bus, networking,
wireless applications.  The handheld market is not yet covered and VM's +
standard interface is a minium marketable idea, the technology behind
hanhelds are easy enough.

>	Yes, the design goals of MISC do not involve working with off
>the shelf hardware.  Yes, they do make it so that an extremely simple

Some people are so miniumable they can see a way past that.  Though that is
your goal.

>devices of a sane enough design to be worth using if we had the luxury
>of using MISC.

Just remember target the backside scratchers or that will be what they end
up.  Lowly paid experimentation for our own fanciable desires won't pay for
all this development.

Wayne.