RE: F21/P21 "improvements"

Dear MISC readers:

Alan wrote:

>Jeff Fox wrote:
>
>"I think enhancements to coprocessors are more in order as the
>CPU is already pretty tweaked.  The big bottleneck is the
>memory interface......"
>
>This may be a question that was covered before I started subscribing to
>the list, but what are the design issues with placing memory on the same
>chip as the processor? With the designs I see being discussed, it would
>appear to me that only about 16KB-64KB of memory is needed, which should
>fit onto a normal-sized chip just fine.  I know that this would increase
>the final production cost of the chip and result in a lower yield, but
>wouldn't the performance gains be worth it?

There are a couple of issues.  One is the process used. RAM manufactures
use slightly different techniques than CPU manufactures.  That is to say
compeditive memory chips use tricks like vertical transistors to get very
dense arrays.  Chuck is only using two metal layers and nothing special
for his chips but he is not using a process normally used for memories.

Cost is an issue.  As I have said before we started with the smallest
packages available to keep costs down.  Prototype costs were proportional
to the number of pins, and they came in various flavors at various times
depending on the policy of the fab house.  One way to look at it was that
adding a single pin could mean going to a die that costs 2x as much to
fab. So adding an array of memory would also result in a larger die although
it could mean a reduction in pins.  As I have said before I didn't have
an extra $40k to add an extra pin (change the memory interface
substantially)

P8 was an example of a chip with ROM only.  I had no pins to outside RAM,
very small chip.  But if you add 128k to 512k bits of memory you are talking
about making the chip at least 10x bigger possibly much more.  I certainly
didn't have 10x the development funds available.

Chuck has said that on chip memory is generally speaking expensive compared
to memory chips for the above reasons.  Figure out what percentage of most
big processors are on chip cache and what percentage of the cost it is and
you see what he means.  Chuck has said that he doesn't have the expertise
to build high density memory arrays on chip and no one has offered to pay
for him to experiment with that.

It basically comes down to a deal with a company that is making memory chips
to drop a MISC CPU down on the die with connections to on chip memory.  The
idea is very attractive since you can make chips that are small and need
few pins.  The memory is faster than off-chip memory.  The only small
problem is that it requires a company that is making memory chips that
wants to do this.  It has been very close before but the Asian economy went
through some rather large bumps a few years ago.

It fits into the long list of things people would do if they had the money
and resources.  Does anyone have an inside track to make such a thing
happen?
We get a lot of blue sky stuff from time to time.  There are lots of cool
things
you could do with million or billion dollar budgets.  Anyone have one who
wants to do such a thing? Bring it up if it is more than just blue sky.

Jeff Fox