Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

On 20/01/2008, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The OLPC project was really very firm on keeping the number of
> programming languages to a bare minimum, namely Python, Squeak Smalltalk
> and Open Firmware Forth. Of course with Mitch Bradley representing Forth
> and Alan Kay representing Smalltalk both senior members of the OLPC
> team, I wouldn't expect anything else. But if you have the "Linux port"
> of the Open Firmware Forth on the machine already, and can install
> gForth out of the Fedora repositories, is there a place for colorforth?

Wouldn't Open Firmware be in the OLPC at the very lowest level, before
Linux has even had a chance to wake itself up? In which case, the OLPC
is arguably already a dedicated Forth box, from the second one
switches it on...

(Now I'm *really* looking forward to them coming to Europe. ;) )

> ...I'd like to have an ELF executable
> colorforth I could run on my Athlon64 X2 under Linux 2.6.23. What are
> the chances of that happening? Is that something I could actually build
> myself?

Course it is, if you start with a C compiler and an assembler; should
only take you a couple of weeks, and you get to fix all the things you
don't like about Chuck's version. ;) Speaking of which, have you tried
- I was going to say Xcolorforth, but it looks as though Mark
Slicker's website has gone away; anyone still have a copy? (hmm. Isn't
this where we came in...?)