Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

Gwenhwyfaer wrote:
Wouldn't Open Firmware be in the OLPC at the very lowest level, before
Linux has even had a chance to wake itself up? In which case, the OLPC
is arguably already a dedicated Forth box, from the second one
switches it on...

Mitch Bradley also made a version of the Open Firmware Forth that runs as an executable under the main Fedora Linux on the XO. If you have a developer key, when you boot it up, it will let you access the Ok prompt and you're in Forth. I suppose you could stay there. :)

...I'd like to have an ELF executable
colorforth I could run on my Athlon64 X2 under Linux 2.6.23. What are
the chances of that happening? Is that something I could actually build
myself?

Course it is, if you start with a C compiler and an assembler; should
only take you a couple of weeks, and you get to fix all the things you
don't like about Chuck's version. ;) Speaking of which, have you tried
- I was going to say Xcolorforth, but it looks as though Mark
Slicker's website has gone away; anyone still have a copy? (hmm. Isn't
this where we came in...?)

No, I haven't tried Xcolorforth -- permissions issue on the web site. :( I was thinking about bringing the DOS version up in VMware or in DOSEMU.