Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

Nick again:  Have succeeded to prepare a bootable
floppy
from Howerd's CFDOS4.blk image, for a 3GHz 64bit
Pentium
D on Intel 945 motherboard.  Having deduced that
previous difficulty might be a hardware problem (see
quote below) the solution was to prepare the floppy on
the same 64 bit PC that it is intended to boot.
(Previously the floppy had been prepared with 0.5GHz
Pentium on 32 bit ASUS P2 board). Presumably this
reduces r/w errors due to electrical jitter.  Thanks,
Howerd, now I have a much faster CF01 - and on a PC that
doesn't even have an operating system, only BIOS.

Q: Would CFDOS4 still work if one were to replace
blocks
1 to 18 (the CF01 core) with 18 blocks from Josh's CFO5
version (the one that uses 16bit color as CFO1 does)?

Caritas,

NickM

> Quoting Nick Maroudas
> <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Nick here: MPE (MicroProcessor Engineering, UK) is
> > still in business - and has been as long as I can
> > remember. [snip]
> > their ... DOS Forth which I bought years ago (and
> have now transferred happily to a 3GHz Pentium D) ...
>  ... illustrates that my new
> 64bit Intel 945 motherboard is compatible with
> an old 16bit ANSI Forth, even though its hard disc
has
> no OS installed yet - only the bare Intel BIOS. (I
use
> a modified WIN98 rescue floppy to set up a 4meg RAM
> disc with DOS then install 16 bit Forth from the
> original MPE CD).  On the other hand, when I try to
> set up ... Howerd Oakford's CFDOS4 floppy ...
[it fails with a barred screen].

> I post these tedious details to show that even DOS
> gives
> no guarantee of a good boot. "... and there may be
some floppies it doesn't like" - Charles Moore, about
booting native CF01.  Now I find the same applies to
booting from DOS.  No disrespect to Howerd ...