Re: [colorforth] Hello - and where to begin?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Ray St. Marie <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well Done!
>
> Hi Nick, Ray here...
>
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Nick Maroudas
> <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Q: Would CFDOS4 still work if one were to replace
> > blocks
> > 1 to 18 (the CF01 core) with 18 blocks from Josh's CFO5
> > version (the one that uses 16bit color as CFO1 does)?
>

> **HERE**
>
> I don't see why not. Anything that doesn't immediately work might just
> need a tweeking. Howerd would have his own form of the icons, and the
> icons editor...  You know, little ( lol ) things. :-)

As I think of it... I've merged cfdos software to cf01-like kernels in
the past to get it to come up on the Pentium 4. As I recall, Howerd's
code booted everything i've owned including P1 P2 P3 except for the
P4. He would "look into" a working copy of cf01 that I sent him to
check the diffs and see why mine could and his wouldn't, but a
comparison of both kernels were mostly identical, if I recall him
correctly.

I'm sure this left him with no clue to proceed and like most good
programmers, he would "think on it" for a bit.

A problem I had discovered was trying to convert to or from small
fonts in the Appelman/Neitz NASM compiled version.
It still works but one must be carefull not to over load the block
when converting from A/N-NASM kernels to Chuck-like kernels as the
Chuck-like can not deal with as many characters per block.

This is especially true for the windows version by Roman as too many
characters on the block will lock the editor and crash colorforth
every time it lands on that block.

This makes it tough to correct. Enter a good hex-editor and you have
to trim off any thing extending off the bottom.

--
Raymond St. Marie ii,