Re: [colorforth] Euler Project Problems.

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 06:08:38PM -0600, Ray St. Marie wrote:
> Dear Albert,
> Ray here:
>
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Ray St. Marie <ray.stmarie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Albert van der Horst
> > <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> I have done a multiprecision factoring on the Z80 in 1 Kbyte.
> >> That algorithm would be suitable on colorforth.
> >> It is on my site, programmed in Forth, called Horst algo.
> >>
> > Albert speaks of ...
> >
> > http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst/horstalgo.html
> >

> > Much thanks, Albert! Looking at it now.
> >

> >> --
> >> Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS
> >> Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters.
> >> albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst
> >>

> I've been reading your file
>
> http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst/horstalgo.html
>
> and have a small problem.
>
> The file is ( as far as my limited knowledge can tell ) is no longer
> in compliance with the ANS standard.

It never was. It is old and at the time I was brain washed by Marcel
Hendrix about what constitutes ANS code. Thanks for pointing this
out. I'm currently using a version to tackle a problem with dividers
of a number of 10^9 ones (repunit), but I have already a better
solutions that runs below a second.

> I've been able to deal with the problem of the LOCALs no longer in
> compliance by using the LOCALS|  loc1 loc2 ... |
> format but...

That is good because I have become very bad at using locals lately.

> I'm not sure what the word U>D is supposed to do. Is it supposed to
> take an unsigned single and make it a double?

Spot on!

> Thanks, Ray
>
> ps. I have to say, Albert, this is very clever.

A diligent reader of Knuth would have found it in "
the art of programming". It is called synthetic division.

> --
> Raymond St. Marie ii,

Groetjes Albert