Re: [colorforth] FML

Hi Mark,

[snip]

> The assembler is GAS (GNU Assembler). If you are using Windows you
> can download either Cygwin or MinGW which have the GNU compiler
> collection (gcc).

> > I was hoping never to have to re-assemble, but needs must...
> >
> > BTW, you say that you use VBE to acquire the frame buffer location -
what
> > does this mean, and where is the code?
>
> In boot.s:
>
> mov $0x4F02, %ax# Video mode
> mov $vesa, %bx# hp*vp rgb: 565
> int $0x10
> mov %es:42(%di), %bp
> shl $16, %ebp
> mov %es:40(%di), %bp
>
> What this means is that I use a vbe bios call, and put the result in EBP.
>
> Chuck searches the PCI devices for a class 3 device and then
> searches the PCI devices registers for a prefetchable memory space
> (the frame buffer).
>
> In theory, Chuck's method should work. I never heard many reports about
> which versions work for people, or what the result of running each
> version. I assume Chuck gets many reports on his image.
>
> One problem in his code is that he doesn't set the linear bit in specifing
> the vesa mode. This may be the singular difference which makes my
> code work for some and not for Chucks. I assume the cards that work with
> Chuck's code only have linear frame buffer modes.
Thanks!

> > I have also ported the "slime" ( AKA "snakes" ) game, simple sounds, and
> > few other bits and pieces. I will publish RSN.
>
> Neat. Which sound code do you use?
I just drive the PC speaker through the I/O ports. I have yet to try the
sound card code...

> > Also the editor display side. I just need to add the token "accept",
keypad
> > and insert/delete functions.
> >

> I put my editor off. I would like to see Chuck's colorForth 2.0 editor.
It was much simpler than I thought. I have added 1 block of "colourblind"
code to mine. Plus a key to toggle between current and last block edited.
It is interesting that the colorForth code is much simpler than the DOS
version - this could be due to the benefit of experience...

> In mean time I shifted priorities. I'm documenting and working
> with the networking code. It looks like Chuck did not finish the Lite-on
> driver, so I may take a crack at this. Or maybe I should just get one of
> these real-tek cards, they are surely cheep enough.
Good luck with the Ethernet code - one day I hope to get it working on my
PC...

Regards

Howerd